We want more poets to be inspired and equipped to make film poems and to discover the potential of film poetry. We’ve spent many years trying different training methods to find the best model, and we think we’ve found it!
Poets meet monthly over a six-month period. The group work together as a ‘collective’ whereby each person is responsible for creating at least one film poem, but they also work together using the skills of the rest of the group. And, of course, we were there, teaching, inspiring and encouraging.
- There is no pressure at the beginning to achieve a quick result.
- It takes most of us several months to begin to feel confident learning new technical skills.
- Everyone is ‘in it together’, sharing any knowledge they bring with them and creating a shared experience along the way.
Some comments about the collective:
“The whole experience has been deeply enriching, both in terms of poetry film-making itself and also its impact on my wider creative practice.”
“The group leaders and members, and the relationships developed throughout, have been a wonderful source of inspiration, support and enjoyment.”
“My relationship with my own and others’ poems has shifted and deepened as a result of working in this way, enriching my writing practice.”
“It offers fresh opportunities for bringing your work to the world.”
“I wouldn’t have realised quite how much potential it offers to explore and experience poetry in new ways unless I’d actually made my own poetry films.”
“It became clear very quickly that tiny details mattered and made a significant difference. I wanted to do my films justice and so I kept at it, editing and editing, again and again over hours/days/weeks, until they worked.”
One-to-One training and mentoring
One or two day training
We can still deliver a more traditional one or two day workshop if we are asked to do that.
One or Two Day Workshop content
- Discussion about what poetry film is and the emerging genres
- Viewing a wide selection of poetry films
- Discussion about what makes a good poetry film
- Where to find still and moving images
- Creating images and film
- Where to find music and sound
- Voice recording
- Putting it all together and making a poetry film
- Working in collaboration
- Where to send and show finished work
- The two day workshop gives more time for understanding the scope and potential in making poetry films and gives time for participants to work on their own poetry film project with support provided.
Some comments from previous workshops:
I felt as fresh leaving as I did arriving, and newly inspired …… Learned loads …… I had a lot of fun at the workshop yesterday and showed some of the lovely films you showed us to the family in the evening …… You have a lovely light touch and pace ……. Practical and inspirational ……. Loved seeing the scope and potential of poetry films …… Great open question environment …… Liked the space to write, collaborate and make videos …… I appreciated being able to get on at ‘my’ pace …… There is a lovely light touch and pace …….. I felt as fresh leaving as I did arriving, and newly inspired ……. I had a lot of fun ……
Please contact us for more details.
There are currently not any Training and mentoring available.